Reality television star Kim Kardashian announced that she will be “re-evaluating” her relationship with Balenciaga as the designer company continues to face widespread scrutiny over appearing to sexualize children in a controversial ad campaign.
“I have been quiet for the past few days, not because I haven’t been disgusted and outraged by the recent Balenciaga campaigns, but because I wanted an opportunity to speak to their team to understand for myself how this could have happened,” Kardashian wrote in a Twitter thread on Sunday.
“As a mother of four, I have been shaken by the disturbing images. The safety of children must be held with the highest regard and any attempts to normalize child abuse of any kind should have no place in our society — period,” she said.
As a mother of four, I have been shaken by the disturbing images. The safety of children must be held with the highest regard and any attempts to normalize child abuse of any kind should have no place in our society — period.
— Kim Kardashian (@KimKardashian) November 27, 2022
“I appreciate Balenciaga’s removal of the campaigns and apology. In speaking with them, I believe they understand the seriousness of the issue and will take the necessary measures for this to never happen again,” she added.
Kardashian concluded, “As for my future with Balenciaga, I am currently re-evaluating my relationship with the brand, basing it off their willingness to accept accountability for something that should have never happened to begin with — & the actions I am expecting to see them take to protect children.”
As for my future with Balenciaga, I am currently re-evaluating my relationship with the brand, basing it off their willingness to accept accountability for something that should have never happened to begin with — & the actions I am expecting to see them take to protect children.
— Kim Kardashian (@KimKardashian) November 28, 2022
Kardashian was previously called out for her noted silence on the brand’s controversial ad campaign that featured small children.
Last week, her silence was taken as an implied endorsement of the brand, and reports circulated indicating that Kardashian would continue her business relationship.
Many noted the apparent hypocrisy of Kardashian standing by the fashion brand amid pedophilia accusations after releasing statements that appeared to condemn her ex-husband Ye, formerly known as Kanye West, for his allegedly anti-Semitic remarks.
Others noted the lengthy delay in Kardashian’s response, with some prominent pundits suggesting she was “told what to say.”
Kim had to wait to be told what to say: https://t.co/EY5TO3wIQy
— radical libertarian (@rvdlibertarian) November 28, 2022
Valiant News previously reported that Balenciaga featured images of children holding stuffed animals in bondage and “virtual child pornography” documents, resulting in widespread concerns that they are promoting pedophilia.
In one photo, a young red-headed girl can be observed standing on a bed while holding a teddy bear donning fishnets and leather straps on its wrists and ankles. In a separate photo, another little girl can be seen holding a purple stuffed animal wearing BDSM-style leather straps.
In a separate photo, a handbag can be seen on a table with a mix of various papers. Fragments of text from the child porn Supreme Court ruling Williams v. Supreme Court (2008) can be observed towards the bottom of the bag.
the brand "Balenciaga" just did a uh….. interesting… photoshoot for their new products recently which included a very purposely poorly hidden court document about 'virtual child porn'
normal stuff pic.twitter.com/zjMN5WhZ0s
— shoe (@shoe0nhead) November 21, 2022
After the bizarre images took the internet by storm, Balenciaga issued a public apology.
“We sincerely apologize for any offense our holiday campaign may have caused. Our plush bear bags should not have been featured with children in this campaign. We have immediately removed the campaign from all platforms,” Balenciaga wrote.
“We apologize for displaying unsettling documents in our campaign. We take this matter very seriously and are taking legal action against the parties responsible for creating the set and including unapproved items for our Spring 23 campaign photoshoot,” the company added.
According to a report by the New York Post, Balenciaga has filed a $25 million lawsuit against the producers of the controversial ad campaign, production company North Six, Inc., set designer Nicholas Des Jardins, in order “to seek redress for extensive damages defendants caused in connection with an advertising campaign Balenciaga hired them to produce.”